Weslan Inn History
We would like to thank you for your interest in our Inn. The building was built in 1844 to be the home of a local shipbuilder
and sea captain, Mr. George Marr. He was a local legend who at the age of 80 was witnessed walking 12 miles to his son's farm
where he helped pitch "on and off" two loads of hay and then walked back home. The Marr's immigrated from Scotland in 1789 and
were responsible for building many sailing ships here in St.Martins. Our suites are named after ships built by the Marr's. The
property was completely renovated in 1996 and consists of a one hundred and ten-acre parcel of land and is also known as The
Our goal is to provide to our guest a private, romantic and intimate luxury environment to relax and dine in. To give to you
our best personal service and have Weslan Inn give you the setting for a complete and unforgettable and relaxing experience.
To make that special first night of a honeymoon a life long memory.
To couples taking the time to rekindle the flame on an anniversary.
To those seeking a deeper and closer bond in their relationship.
The arch in the upstairs hall is known as the Wedding Arch. We hope the future will bring others to make that special
commitment of marriage or renewal of vows also. We ask all our guests to take a minute under the arch and feel the positive
aura of the building, to tell each other of the love they have, to contribute more positivity into the Inn.
St. Martins History
The piece of geography known as Quaco/St. Martins was first settled in 1783 by a group of loyalist soldiers known as the King`s Orange Rangers. They had originated in Orange and Duchess Counties New York and were disbanded at Halifax. What we know as New Brunswick was, at that time part of `New Scotland` or Nova Scotia. There were seventeen names on the original Crown Grant - one of which was a woman. Two hundred plus years later, few of the original settlers have living descendants in the village.
The original name of the community was `Goolwagagek`* A Micmac Word meaning haunt of the hooded seal` according to DeMoulles map of 1686. Over many years it was translated as `Araquaki". Later translations of the name produced Roquaque and finally by 1762 it appeared on a map (presently in the Library of Massachusetts Historical Society) as Quaco. It has remained unchanged since that time.
The newly settled community was christened St. Martins by one of the original grantees - Matthias Moran after his ancestral province in France. Matthias Moran was the founder of the prolific Moran Shipbuilding family. This family together with the Vaughan family accounted for greatest number of vessels built at St. Martin`s yards. These two families mastered many of their own vessels, sailing around the world under their own "House Flag." An additional thirty-seven families are considered major builders of St. Martins vessels. This little village was to become the third largest producer of wooden sailing vessels on the eastern seaboard of North America.
The first of the more than 500 vessels built at St. Martins was launched in 1803 and named the RACHEL. The last vessel was launched in 1919 and named the SELINA K. GOLDMAN. When the days building sailing vessels ended, many men who comprised the talented workforce of the village found employment at the Saint John Shipbuilding Company where they used their expertise in shipbuilding to produce the great modern commercial and naval vessels used today. The last vessels on which St. Martins men shipbuilders were involved were the Halifax Class Frigates built for the Canadian Navy in the 1990`s.
The unique architecture of the village was, in many instances copied from European buildings, the intricate designs of which were brought back by sea captains and incorporated into their own homes here. Those who could afford it - and there were several, brought artisans from Europe to decorate the interiors of their homes by painting their ceilings and wall panels. Unfortunately, little of this art remains today. There were, as well local cabinet-makers who produced everything from sleigh beds to original doors, chairs, desks and other furniture for the shipbuilder`s homes as well as their own.
In 1879 the first train ran on the new St. Martins - Hampton Railway. This proved to be a money-losing venture as the track ran north-west to Hampton rather than to Saint John- the natural commercial centre nearest St. Martins 1940 saw the end of railway service to the village.
A disastrous fire on May 31 1900 destroyed over 68 buildings in the village- many of them the finest examples of Victorian architecture to be found anywhere.
After almost 200 years of history - the community of St. Martins was finally incorporated by an Act of the New Brunswick Legislature on 9 November, 1967.